jurate, vic

the coding team

missy, kris, brooklyn

the security team

raa, charlie, chelle, robin

the advertising team

josie, shadia

september 13

thank you for your participation in our member survey! we have now closed it and will be reviewing your feedback. we have a few things coming up to keep an eye on the announcements!

may 19

using tinypic? please read this announcement!
Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Closed
New Poll

tinypic + cttw
hells bells
 Posted: May 19 2017, 09:47 PM

Nicole

administrator

pronouns: she/her

4625 posts

tinypic

please use an alternative host

hello, caution!

for those of you who are not aware, tinypic has been an unreliable image host for a number of years. it will often swap out the images you upload and post on forums with something completely different without warning or reason. this seems to especially be an issue for those users viewing your image who are outside of north america.

other than the inconvenience this might not be a big issue, except that tinypic has been known to frequently display very nsfw images in place of roleplaying graphics. as a site that has members 13+, and knowing that unsolicited images of the sort are never a pleasant surprise, we would like to ask that any of our members who are still using tinypic consider switching to an alternative. although imgur has taken a stance and begun removing images being used on forums, there are many other options that are available to us. among some staff favourites are:

overall, we recommend image hosts that 1) allow for hotlinking on forums, and 2) can use https in doing so. we understand that this may cause some inconvenience for those of you who use tinypic, but ultimately a switch will be better for you -- you will have security in knowing that your images are as you intend them to be and are not displaying inappropriate content that you may not know about -- and better for our community.

let us know if you have any questions or concerns!

--------------------
user posted image
PMAIM
^
LOU NEED
 Posted: May 20 2017, 08:23 AM

needy

caution member

121 posts

https://imgsafe.org is another host that provides a nice short url which is the only reason i ever used tinypic in the past tbh
PM
^
AMATERASU
 Posted: May 20 2017, 10:46 AM

jasper

caution member

pronouns: he/him

154 posts

Imgur is a blessed site.
PM
^
mardy bum
 Posted: May 20 2017, 11:24 AM

sadie

caution member

1444 posts

QUOTE (AMATERASU @ May 20 2017, 03:46 PM)
Imgur is a blessed site.

imgur is not a safe choice, here's why.

--------------------

july 21 i'm starting a new job and my work schedule is all over the place, so i'll be a bit m.i.a.

if you need any help, shoot me a pm and i'll get back to you asap.

PM
^
WINTER WIDOW.
 Posted: May 20 2017, 11:51 AM

kayla

caution member

1512 posts

i use abload. it's in a different language but if you have chrome as your browser, you can have the pages translated!
PM
^
All Perspicacity
 Posted: May 20 2017, 06:57 PM

Kaetun

caution member

pronouns: She/Her

66 posts

Another good option is Imgfly. Allows hotlinking, huge file size, very fast, reliable, free.

--------------------

Sex
Metal
Barbie

kætun

Coffee Addict. Coding Addict. Graphics Addict.

"Would you say that everything is going according to plan?"

wti.
shp.
wtd.
PM
^
witch with a b
 Posted: May 20 2017, 06:58 PM

shadia

advertising moderator

2155 posts

On the opposite end - what are there ones that don't work aside from imgur?
PM
^
hells bells
 Posted: May 20 2017, 07:56 PM

Nicole

administrator

4625 posts

QUOTE (annalise keating @ May 20 2017, 06:58 PM)
On the opposite end - what are there ones that don't work aside from imgur?

as far as i know, the image hosts to avoid are mainly imgur, tinypic, and any that don't use https. i've also heard that some people have used tumblr as an image host and had some issues.

--------------------
user posted image
PMAIM
^
Kuroya
 Posted: May 20 2017, 08:51 PM

Kuroya

caution member

193 posts

honestly for anyone not aware, i would highly recommend that for site images (ads, affiliate banners, skin images, etc) that you just use the file manager (admin panel > jfh resources > file manager). free sites have up to 500 mb of space (and to put this in perspective, two skins with board description images and a bunch of ad stuff have only covered about 5.5mb on my site rn), it can't go down unless jcink as a whole is down, and if you delete something, you can reupload a new image with the same file name and it will replace it. and y'know, if you're concerned about space, disable the ability for people to upload avatars and all the space will be for the site stuff and that's it.

ofc that doesn't do much for personal graphics and icons, so for that, i use either ultraimg or imgbox. imgbox is a lot more stable and i've literally never had issues there where ultraimg has had issues where they sometimes go down for weeks at a time (though it's been stable for the past few months so yay). but imgbox is silent on hotlinking in their terms while ultraimg flat out states it's fine so. there's that.

there's also the issue that photobucket (and by extension tinypic since they're owned by the same company) can take what you upload and use it however they like, including for things they make money on so. yeah.

edit: proboards also has a similar option within the admin panel somewhere under the themes option where you can upload unique images and get the direct links if you open them up. it's just been a while since i've done anything with proboards so i don't remember how to get there off the top of my head :c sorry. and sorry to all the other forum hosts i have no idea about

--------------------
ideal worldan alternate universe marvel + dc site
PM
^
hells bells
 Posted: May 20 2017, 09:27 PM

Nicole

administrator

4625 posts

QUOTE (Kuroya @ May 20 2017, 08:51 PM)
ofc that doesn't do much for personal graphics and icons, so for that, i use either ultraimg or imgbox.  imgbox is a lot more stable and i've literally never had issues there where ultraimg has had issues where they sometimes go down for weeks at a time (though it's been stable for the past few months so yay).  but imgbox is silent on hotlinking in their terms while ultraimg flat out states it's fine so.  there's that.

as far as i can tell, ultraimg doesn't seem to use https and so i wouldn't recommend it. please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong though!

--------------------
user posted image
PMAIM
^
space bisexual
 Posted: May 21 2017, 11:28 AM

noä

caution member

pronouns: they/them

640 posts

QUOTE (LOU NEED @ May 20 2017, 08:23 AM)
https://imgsafe.org is another host that provides a nice short url which is the only reason i ever used tinypic in the past tbh

imgsafe seems to go down a lot, because it was my host of choice for a while, but after having it go down for a week or more a couple months ago, i've been wary of using it.

--------------------

space bisexual

01 jun 2017 · please direct all coding related questions to the coding help forum, located here.

PM
^
sidhe
 Posted: May 21 2017, 06:20 PM

caution member

10 posts

In my experience, imgsafe goes down a lot and even if you have a "registered" account with them, a good number of your images may or may not be available for use. I recently switched to https://imgbox.com/ and it's been great. Smooth uploads, short hyperlinks, and you can sort everything you upload into different galleries for ease of use.
PM
^
Islington
 Posted: May 22 2017, 01:26 AM

Ash

caution member

pronouns: She/her

71 posts

Personally I always recommend NickPic, if only because I know the guy who set it up, and why he did. He's a roleplayer just like us, and I like that he's concerned with the things we'd look for. So much so that he pays for the image host out of his own pocket, barring the occasional donation; and has been this whole time since setting it up after the whole imgur mess. Plus down time wise, usually he actually gets notified and fixes it pretty quick on the rare times it does go down, because someone pokes or panics at him on skype thoroughly lol

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
user posted image
user posted image
PM
^
SithLordOfSnark
 Posted: Jun 3 2017, 05:37 PM

Chris

caution member

pronouns: He/Him

1000 posts

QUOTE (Islington @ May 21 2017, 10:26 PM)
Personally I always recommend NickPic, if only because I know the guy who set it up, and why he did. He's a roleplayer just like us, and I like that he's concerned with the things we'd look for. So much so that he pays for the image host out of his own pocket, barring the occasional donation; and has been this whole time since setting it up after the whole imgur mess. Plus down time wise, usually he actually gets notified and fixes it pretty quick on the rare times it does go down, because someone pokes or panics at him on skype thoroughly lol

I totally agree. I have personally been using nickpic for all my images since I heard about it.

--------------------
user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image

PMEmail
^
Lyric
 Posted: Jun 6 2017, 10:30 PM

Annabelle

caution member

pronouns:

33 posts

A lot of people use Tumblr, just upload everything into a photoset and draft it. But either than that, I can vouch for imgbox.
PMAIM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Closed
New Poll

skinned exclusively by essi for cttw. cookies by kismet

MEMBER FEEDBACK SURVEY!

Provide us feedback on our community, cbox, resources, and staff team!

member feedback survey!!!
[close]